“Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours”
Positive attitude, positive thinking, and optimism are now known to be a root cause of many positive life benefits—the good life and well being. You'll live longer and be healthier and happier with a positive attitude toward life. In addition, you're more likely to be successful. Learn to use the power of thinking positive, adopting positive attitudes, and affirmations to gain important life benefits.
“To respond is positive, to react is negative.”
What is Attitude?
“Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference”
Attitude is a mental position relative to a way of thinking or being; a leaning toward that which you believe. A positive attitude is, therefore, the inclination to generally be in an optimistic, hopeful state of mind.
Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same.
Characteristics of a Positive Attitude and Optimism
Optimists believe they are accountable for good things and that good things will generally come their way. If something bad comes instead, optimists tend to write it off as an isolated incident, an anomaly, or something out of their control; optimists believe things will be better in the future.
Positive attitude manifests in the following ways:
- Positive thinking.
- Constructive thinking.
- Creative thinking.
- Expecting success.
- Motivation to accomplish your goals.
- Being inspired.
- Choosing happiness.
- Not giving up.
- Looking at failure and problems as blessings in disguise.
- Believing in yourself and in your abilities.
- Displaying self-esteem and confidence.
- Looking for solutions.
- Seeing opportunities.
A positive attitude leads to happiness and success and can change your whole life. If you look at the bright side of life, your whole life becomes filled with light. This light affects not only you and the way you look at the world, but also your whole environment and the people around you. If it is strong enough, it becomes contagious.
The benefits of a positive attitude:
- Helps achieving goals and attaining success.
- Success achieved faster and more easily.
- More happiness
- More energy.
- Greater inner power and strength.
- The ability to inspire and motivate yourself and others.
- Fewer difficulties encountered along the way.
- The ability to surmount any difficulty.
- Life smiles at you.
- People respect you.
Developing a positive attitude that will lead you to happiness and success:
- Choose to be happy.
- Look at the bright side of life.
- Choose to be and stay optimistic.
- Find reasons to smile more often
- Have faith in yourself and in the Power of the Universe.
- Contemplate upon the futility of negative thinking and worries.
- Associate yourself with happy people.
- Read inspiring stories.
- Read inspiring quotes.
- Repeat affirmations that inspire and motivate you.
- Visualize only what you want to happen.
- Learn to master your thoughts.
- Learn concentration and meditation.
Positive Thinking Takes Practice
If you're a person whose first thoughts about the meaning of something that's happened are negative thoughts, be encouraged by the knowledge that the first step toward a positive attitude and positive thinking is to simply think another thought. Thoughts are under your control. Your pessimistic way of thinking is habit; habits can be changed.
“What the caterpillar calls the end, the rest of the world calls a butterfly.”
When you catch yourself thinking a pessimistic thought about an event in your life, first evaluate the evidence. What are the facts—not the fears—but the facts?
Next, think of alternate explanations and future outcomes. When your old car suddenly makes a strange noise you may jump to the pessimistic conclusion that repair will be costly, but maybe a minor repair will solve the problem.
"To different minds, the same world is a hell, and a heaven."
Remind yourself to follow this approach with a daily affirmation such as this: When I have a negative thought I immediately evaluate the facts and think of positive alternatives that also fit the facts.
Practice the positive thinking approach outlined above and you'll find it soon comes naturally. You may be amazed to realize that you simply feel better with a positive attitude.