Leadership can be defined as one's ability to get others to willingly follow. Every organization needs leaders at every level. Leaders can be found and nurtured if you look for the following character traits.
Leadership is an intangible ability to provide direction to a group of individuals working toward a common goal. Although many attributes of leadership are hard to define, it comprises concrete qualities. These qualities are what separate good leaders from great or better yet, effective leaders.
Effective business leadership demands a captain of the ship, not just someone who's standing by the helm. Leadership is active, not passive.
Cool-headed, farseeing, visionary, courageous - whichever adjectives you choose, leadership is a winning combination of personal traits and the ability to think and act as a leader, a person who directs the activities of others for the good of all. Anyone can be a leader, even if the only person they're leading is themselves.
Leaders are needed at every level and in every venue. Here's how to become one.
Following is a list of 10 attributes that can help you become an outstanding leader. Their value extends beyond the professional realm and will serve anyone well in life.
- Start small.
- Be approachable and accessible.
- Share the credit and shoulder the blame.
- Learn to say things the right way.
- Thank people for their contributions.
- Utilize the personal touch.
- Be flexible about how to attain a goal.
- Make sure each and every individual feels important.
- Give feedback in a timely manner.
- Take initiative.
- Have the ability to think differently .i.e. be Creative
- Believe in dealing with others consistently and justly
Now that you've developed a concept of what it takes to be an effective leader, you can put those ideas into practice, whether that means seeking leadership positions or simply demonstrating these qualities day-to-day.
A quote to walk away with:
" What you are going to be tomorrow, you are becoming today." John C. Maxwell, Developing the Leader Within You